IC Journals Master List
IC Journals Master List 2011
IndexCopernicus Journal Abstract
|THE USAGE OF THE INTERNET IN TEACHING GEOGRAPHY: THE ANALYSIS OF A SITUATION AND PREDICTIONS |
Vincentas Lamanauskas, Rytis Vilkonis
GU/NSE 2006; 1(2(16)):5-16
|Article type: Original article|
|IC™ Value: 4.20|
|Modern geography - one of the most integrated and systemic spheres of scientific knowledge. On the other hand a subject of geography complex enough, difficultly studied. The basic purpose - to create good conditions the student for successful studying questions of geography at a modern level. One of ways - application of modern technologies. Now it is applied two basic technologies: |
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Earth Observation (EO). Very good opportunities for studying geography are created with the Internet. It is obvious, that use of the Internet for teaching/learning still on a low level for the different objective and subjective reasons. First of all it is necessary to create conditions for teachers to raise qualification.
It has to be stated that the Internet possibilities in the teaching process are insufficiently used. On the other hand, in principal there are no reliable studies, which would reveal the actual situation in this field. Therefore, the object of our study is the usage of the Internet for teaching geography. The main aim of the study is to analyse the situation of the usage of the Internet for teaching geography and highlight the hindering/encouraging factors of its usage in the teaching process. The most important study tasks have been formulated:
• To analyse the situation of the usage of the Internet for teaching geography;
• To identify the hindering/stimulating factors of Internet usage for teaching geography;
• To highlight the experts’ opinion about the expected development perspectives of Internet usage for teaching geography in the nearest five years period.
The study employed expert inquiry. The type of expert inquiry – “Delphi study”, containing several experts’ inquiries (stages). The data of every round are generalised and repeatedly submitted to the experts. Such procedure is repeated several times, most often 3-4 times. The study was carried out in September – December 2005.
In opinion of 20% of experts use of the Internet the nearest five years considerably will grow up. Other experts (80%) have expressed opinion, that the increase will be insignificant. Experts are uniform in opinion, that the establishment of computers at schools yet does not solve a problem. Teachers of different subjects should have access to the Internet in classrooms. The opportunity to create search system in the Lithuanian language is important too.
Some conclusions were indicated:
• For last five years a situation in use of the Internet has a little changed. On the one hand on the Internet it is a lot of information on geography, with another - lack of the information in the Lithuanian language is obvious. Moreover the information authentic (valid) only partially.
• It is established, that main hindering factors in use of the Internet are: Lack of computers and connections to a network of the Internet, poor knowledge of foreign languages, poor school technical possibilities, lack of modern techniques (methodics) of use of the Internet for teaching geography etc.
• It is established, that main stimulating factors in use of the Internet are: the opportunity to interest pupils geography, opportunities of an exchange of the modern information, application of different methods of teaching, the possibility to take part in different international projects etc.
• It is predicted, that use of the Internet should grow a little the nearest five years. Positive influence will render change of the content of education and improvement of professional skill of teachers of geography. On the other hand the material resources of schools constantly improves, the level of living standards grows in the country.